Manager, Laser Applications
Trusting in brave ideas" this is our promise to everyone who works for us. As a family business, we make long-term decision and provide our people with the trust and stability needed to bring their ideas to fruition, even the unconventional ones. Being a market and technology leader in machine tools and lasers, we courageously shape the manufacturing of tomorrow, meeting every challenge with bold, fresh thinking
The Laser Applications Manager is responsible for the TRUMPF Laser Technology Center’s Laser Application Center in Plymouth, MI and the Laser Application Center in Santa Clara, CA. In this role you will be responsible for customer applications and development projects in the field of laser welding, cutting, micromachining, marking and additive manufacturing, including laser metal deposition and laser metal fusion (3D printing). In this role, it is your responsibility to align application capabilities and competence with TRUMPF market strategy and customer requirements. You will be leading a highly skilled team of laser and material experts. Your goal is to support sales by ensuring best in class customer satisfaction in the pre-sales technology evaluation process and customer after-sales support. You will represent TRUMPF in events and conferences, generate publications and act as a key contact between TRUMPF and it’s customers.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage Plymouth, MI and Santa Clara, CA Laser Application Centers and the dedicated groups
- Serve as a technical specialist for laser applications and equipment
- Host customer visits and communicate directly with customers regarding applications and technology
- Communicate efficiently with sales, marketing and management functions
- Be a member of the TRUMPF Laser Technology Center management team
- Mentor customers on process and product details and strengthen their relationship with TRUMPF
- Routine communication with Laser Applications Laboratory in TRUMPF Competence Center regarding new applications, products, ideas, support and training
- Lead application demos for TRUMPF open houses, trade shows and other customer events
- Take part in TUSD management meetings and TUSD strategy development
- Create customer, technical and scientific presentations and represent TUSD in events and conferences
- Develop operations of the laser application center with lean and agile project methods
- Maintain laser application laboratory capabilities to perform at an excellence level, including human resources, personnel development, equipment and facilities
- Develop digital methods for daily operation and management of the LAC
- Coordinate escalations
- Ensure contribution on TRUMPF internal data platforms
- Author technical papers and represent the company in trade journals, trade shows and conferences
- Lead application center preparations for TRUMPF open houses and other customer events
- Be responsible for laser application center cleanliness and daily operations
- Schedule applications work with customer service administrator and work with other functions to assure timely completion of applications
- Be involved and manage longer term customer development projects
- Any other tasks and responsibilities as defined by management
- Must maintain Valid U.S. Driver’s License
- Up to 25% travel, mostly domestic
- Normal amount of sitting and standing, average mobility to move around an office, and ability to conduct normal amount of work on a computer.
Experience & Education
- This position requires excellent knowledge in various laser processes and laser processing equipment. Minimum of seven years of experience is desirable. Previous Project Management Experience required. More than 3 years of previous Leadership Experience required, with demonstrated success in developing teams and individuals
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Materials Science or other relevant field, strongly preferred. Extensive technical training and managerial training is required.
- Clear, concise, professional, effective communication skills are essential. Must be excellent in both verbal and written communication, including ability to present technical or scientific content in front of live audiences.
- Demonstrated success in creating and/or managing development projects and programs for customers is considered advantageous.
- Candidate should exhibit desire and ability to teach and mentor. Customer conscious and oriented attitude is essential to perform in the position. Must be cooperative and highly committed to success through team work.
- Ability to collect information / data from relevant sources and make appropriate decisions is important to succeed as a laser applications manager. Has to demonstrate curiosity, creativity and insight.
- Ability to write technical and/or scientific papers and present at events and conferences required
- Microsoft Office; Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
TRUMPF Inc. reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as need arises. The job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
TRUMPF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, past or present history of mental disorder, physical, or learning disability, mental retardation, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic as established by law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Apply for Manager, Laser Applications using the link below:
TRUMPF is and will remain a family business. The following five members of our management holding ensure continuity and constant development. We are looking forward to your online application Ms Jennings from the personnel area
What your future colleagues say